SMOKE ALARMS SAVE LIVES!
AVAILABLE YEAR-ROUND Smoke detector/battery replacement program
Our crew members will bring and install new smoke detectors and batteries in island homes, free of charge.
Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Call VIFR, at 206-463-2405, or email staff, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to schedule a free appointment for VIFR crew members to come to your home to install smoke detectors or install fresh smoke-detector batteries.
Hardwired smoke alarms must be installed or removed by a licensed electrician. VIFR cannot provide this service.
The safety of our community is a priority every day on Vashon.
3 OF 5 HOME FIRE DEATHS HAPPEN IN HOMES WITH NO WORKING SMOKE ALARMS.
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN DO TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside all sleeping areas, and on every level of home including basement.
- Place smoke alarms on the ceiling or high on a wall.
- To reduce false alarms, place at least 10 feet (3 meters) from the kitchen stove.
- In most homes closed doors may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Consider installing connected smoke alarms; when one sounds, they all sound.
- Consider acquiring smoke alarms that have strobe lights and bed shakers for people who are hard of hearing or deaf.
- Make sure your smoke alarms work. Test all smoke alarms at least once a month.
- Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
Smoke alarm check/replacement request form