The mission of VashonBePrepared is to:
- Motivate and educate individual citizens, households, businesses, and neighborhoods to be as self-reliant as possible during a disaster through advance planning and preparation.
- Form partnerships with Island institutions, agencies, businesses, and volunteer groups to help create a structure capable of responding to a disaster in aid of the Island-wide disaster plans and procedures and in conformance with the National Incident Management System.
- Develop and maintain Island-wide disaster plans and procedures in collaboration with Vashon Island Fire and Rescue (King County Fire District 13) for approval by the Vashon Island Emergency Management Area (VIEMA).
- Recruit, organize, and train volunteer staff for an Island Emergency Operations Center (the EOC Team) utilizing the principles of the National Incident Management System in collaboration with Vashon Island Fire and Rescue (King County Fire District 13).
- Raise and manage funds and property in support of all these organizational purposes.
VashonBePrepared is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit that serves as the coalition representing and coordinting the various disaster related organizations serving Vashon-Mauty Islands. Our affiliates are:
- King County
- Vashon Island Fire & Rescue (VIFR)
- Emergency Operations Center (EOC) Team
- Medical Reserve Corps (MRC, a CitizenCorps Affiliate)
- Vashon-Maury Island Radio Club (VMIRC, an ARES Affiliate)
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT, a CitizenCorps Affiliate)
- Neighborhood Emergency Response Organizations (NERO, a CitizenCorps Affiliate)
- Vashon Emergency Preparedness Committee (VEPC, a Red Cross Affiliate)
- South King County Organizations Active in Disasters (SKCOAD)
- Vashon Island Emergency Management Area (VIEMA)
- Voice of Vashon (VoV 1650 AM, TV channel 21)
For more information, please visit the VashonBePrepared website at: